Friday, July 6, 2012

PROMETHEUS

I'm late on seeing this movie and reviewing it.  Though, I finally got to see it this week.  There were many things I enjoyed and many things I questioned and disliked about the film.  Let's start off with the bad and end with some good.  That reasonable?  Fantastic.  Let's get started.


There were a few things I disliked about the film. The acting, plot holes, and changing the story, along with the Director admitting that he didn't care anymore half way through shooting.  Bummer since this was one of the films everyone wanted to see and really love.  I was one of the followers that wanted this to be great.  Sadly, I couldn't bring myself to love this film. I found it entertaining. Though, a movie I have been waiting for shouldn't just be entertaining.  Should be fantastic, great, phenomenal, and other words that are synonyms of those that I listed.  Let me first start with Charlize Theron's acting. Which wasn't great in this film.  The only times I believed her was when she was seducing the captain and when she wasn't talking.  Besides that, her acting was poor.  I was really disappointed with it. She isn't the BEST actress but I think she is decent.  She is something to look at, which is great, but only to a point.  As we know, that isn't what we always want in a film.  It's nice to see someone attractive in tight clothing but when the acting distracts me that much, the looks can only do so much.  Speaking of things looking good, that's what I thought the movie was doing. Only looking good at times but other times, just giving me a bad performance.  The CGI is great.  Though, can CGI carry a whole film without all the other elements to make a film?  The short answer of it is, no.  No it can not.  I really enjoyed some of the minor details they did in the film.  Having David's fingerprint be imprinted with the company's logo.  That was amazing to me.  Along with David just being really creepy.  I enjoyed that.  I guess my biggest problem with the film was that it felt as if I was watching a cliche horror flick.  The young attractive couple, the woman who hates them, some people that will follow them, a crazy friend, one that is smart but ends up dying anyways, all the fun elements of a horror film.  The plot holes.  The one thing in the film that left me saying, "You would!" Frustrated that I left a theater not knowing some answers.  Since this isn't the type of film that should have me think about, "what is going to happen next?"  I know what happens.  Since this is a prequel.  There are a few here and there, I don't want to point out every single one.


The costume design, the CGI, the interesting Gods that created us, all really interesting aspects of the film.  Also, the only parts I really enjoyed of the film.  Along with the girl giving herself an abortion.  That was pretty intense.


So you are probably asking yourself, should I even bother seeing this film?  You should watch it on two conditions.  1) You don't know anything about the Alien series.  Or its been so long you don't remember them.  2) You don't mind plot holes and bad acting but love CGI and horror movie cliches that have some pretty intense moments.

No comments:

Post a Comment